Wednesday, April 25, 2007

the closer i get

The world has become smaller and smaller. Thanks, mostly, to the leaps-and-bounds advances in technology. What used to be a very-fast "80 days around the world", can be done in half the time. A trip to Hong Kong just takes a relatively short time and shuttling back and forth for a vacation or shopping trip can be done.

Technology has advanced so much that conversations can be held between people, at a relatively reasonable price! There's 3G, VOIP, web calls, chat, instant messenger, etc.

But what has this technology done for us? Now that the world has gotten smaller and everything is accessible a finger's touch away, we have to pay the price: schedules have become tighter. Stress levels are at an all-time high. People are totally reliant on modern technology. People have become too lazy to go out and interact. They rely mostly on the internet or cellular phones to talk to friends and family. We have kept in touch with so many people, but we have cut down on personal times.

How often have you found yourself sending e-mails and YM messages, finally realizing that you haven't seen your friends in person for over a month?

How many of us have had dinners, lunches, and even sleep times interrupted because of "important" calls from the office?

Technology has made us extremely reachable that we have forgotten personal times. We have failed to realize that technology was created to serve us and not the other way around.

I have to admit that I am a slave to technology. I get quite uneasy when I leave my phone or laptop behind. I do enjoy a once-in-a-while escape from technology, but I find it difficult to leave it totally behind.

I greatly admire some people I know who can live and control technology. There are people who check their phone every hour only. There are those who don't answer business-related calls after 6pm.

Resolution to the problem, which I hope I am able to follow: take a weekly off-day from technology and enjoy it soaking in a nice scented bath with candles and a wonderful wonderful paperback.

No comments: